Home Expat Essentials Registering Residency

Registering Residency

by City Savvy Luxembourg

Top of the To-Do list when you first get to Luxembourg has to be to register with your local commune. Here’s our handy guide on how to obtain your residency permit.

If you’re planning to stay in Luxembourg for more than three months, congratulations – you are officially a Luxembourg resident! Actually, scratch that. You’re not official until you’ve registered your residency, which means proving that you’re entitled to reside here. The proof of this pudding lies in a number of factors – read on to see which apply to you.

EU or not EU – That is the question: But if you are British, and in purgatory, we have no answers! (Thank you, Brexit.)

EU citizens (and the Swiss) have it relatively easy in the residency stakes

You’re allowed to visit the country for 3 months anyway, but if you intend to stay longer, all you need to do is to go to your local municipal office and make your declaration of arrival (déclaration d’arrivée) within 8 days of landing. You’ll need the following documentation:

  • A valid ID
  • Original signed lease / certificate of accommodation (which can be issued by your temporary accommodation, including your hotel)
  • Declaration of departure from the former commune of residence, if applicable
  • If you are single, you may be asked for your original birth certificate; best to have it handy
  • If you are/were married, you need your original marriage certificate(s) (and divorce certificates, if applicable)
  • If you have children, you will need to provide their original birth certificates

and you should obtain your registration certificate (attestation d’enregistrement). It is worth asking for a certificate of residence (certificat de résidence) even though this is not compulsory – you never know if it might come in useful.

Not an EU resident?

It’s still a straightforward process, assuming you have the correct documentation; there’s just a bit more of it. For starters, you may have needed to obtain a visa before departure. Visa applications must be made to the Luxembourg Consulate in the non-EU national’s home country, or at a Luxembourg Consulate in one of the Schengen Agreement member countries. Passports must be valid for at least six months after the date of departure. Once you have this, you are entitled to stay in Luxembourg for up to 90 days as long as you have health insurance and can prove you have sufficient means to cover expenses for the duration of your stay.

If you want to stay longer (and who can blame you?) or you wish to work, then you need to do something else before you come here: apply for an authorisation to stay (autorisations de séjour) 90 days before you are going to enter Luxembourg. Now, there are several types of these autorisations – so make sure you pick the appropriate one for you:-

  • For employees: Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers en vue d’une activité salariée
  • For the self-employed: Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers en vue d’une activité indépendante
  • For family members: Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers à des fins d’études
  • For students: Autorisation de séjour du membre de famille d’un ressortissant de pays tiers
  • For ‘private reasons’, e.g. retirement: Autorisation de séjour d’un ressortissant de pays tiers pour des raisons privées

The documentation required to gain the authorisation is dependant on the type of authorisation needed. Anything that is not in French, German or English needs to be translated by a sworn translator.

  • Copy of the applicant’s passport and birth certificate
  • Copy of diplomas and professional qualifications with a Curriculum Vitae
  • If you have a work contract, bring it dated and signed by the applicant and the employer
  • Proof of financial means if without employment
  • An affidavit or police record

Right, so you’re legally allowed to stay here for 90 days and you can work – what next? Like the EU citizens, you need to go through the declaration of arrival (déclaration d’arrivée) process (see above), but you must go within 3 days of arrival and you cannot work until you have done this. You will need the extra documentation:

  • your valid visa (if applicable)
  • Your autorisation de séjour
  • In some cases, proof of address will be necessary

Make sure you get your copy of the declaration as proof that you have the right to stay in Luxembourg.

So, the final piece of the puzzle is to get your residence permit, titre de séjour, which is essentially a sticker in your passport. This must be done within 90 days of arrival in Luxembourg, which will give you time to go for a medical examination by a Luxembourg-qualified doctor and get your TB screening. This process will provide you with a medical certificate, which you can add to the pile of documentation you need to show:

  • Your autorisation de séjour
  • Your copy of the declaration issued above
  • Your medical certificate, issued by a Luxembourg doctor
  • Proof of appropriate accommodation (rental agreement or a property deed)
  • Proof of payment of a fee (This is a 50 Euro payment made to the Direction de l’Immigration, Ministère des Affaires étrangères)

You then fill in your form on-line or download and post it. Employed persons who have already received a long-term residence permit in another EU member state, and who have an autorisation de séjour, will be granted a titre de séjour valid for five years. If the application for a residence permit is accepted, you’ll be asked to come to the immigration office to get a photo and your fingerprints taken. You’ll be given a final date to come and pick up your residence permit. Phew!

The bad news is that the titre de séjour is valid for one year maximum, for one profession only and in one job sector. You must renew it within two months of the expiry date, provide all the documentation again and pay the fee. The good news is that the second permit will be valid for two years; the third, three. And after that, you might want to look at more long-term solutions…


Wanna be a Luxembourg Lifer?

If your experience of being in the grand duchy has you hankering to be a permanent resident, you can apply after five or more years of continuous legal living here. For the process on how to get your permanent residence permit (carte de séjour permanent), click here.


Useful contact information

The contact details for the city’s central administrative office is:-

Bierger-Center Centre Hamilius
26a, Boulevard Royal
L-2449 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 47 96 22 00
Fax: (+352) 26 27 09 99
Email: bierger-center@vdl.lu

Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8.00 to 17.00

The details of the Immigration department are:

Immigration Directorate – Department for Foreigners
12-16, avenue Monterey
L – 2163 Luxembourg
B.P. 752
Phone: (+352) 247-84040 (from 14.00 – 16.00)
Fax: (+352) 22 16 08
Website: www.mae.lu
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 08.30 – 11.00 (different opening hours during school holidays)

Photo: Helloquence/unsplash

You may also like


Hyginus Chijioke 19th April 2018 - 10:29 pm

Please how much do somebody need to have in his/her bank account for the residency registration?
Thanks and remain blessed

Amanda Roberts 20th April 2018 - 9:11 am

You best bet is to contact the Luxembourg Consulate in your home country.


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.