This cake is so simple yet addictive. A great way to welcome spring/summer, I guarantee, this will become a family favourite!
- 85 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for cake pan.
- 188 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 200 grams plus 25 grams granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 118 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 450 grams strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tbsps strawberry jam (optional)
Grease a 9 inch springform cake pan with butter (10 inch cake pan will work too, but the result of the cake will be thinner).
Sift and whisk the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl.
In a larger bowl, with an electric mixer beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg, milk, vanilla, strawberry jam and mix until just combined. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Pour into prepared cake pan and arrange the strawberries on top of the batter as closely as possible in a layer pattern.Sprinkle 2 tbsps sugar generously over all the the berries.
Bake until golden brown for 40-50 minutes (start checking for doneness at 40 minutes) in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius. If using a tester for checking the cake, remember that the strawberries will remain gooey. Once ready let it cool, cut in slices and serve with whipped cream.
This delicious dessert can be stored in room temperature for up to 2 days.